Photo Credit: Chris Rutsch
SHUTOUT! Magnus Hellberg earned the 3-0 shutout win over the Hershey Bears this evening in Hartford. The group played a strong defensive game. They outworked Hershey and had the upper advantage throughout the sixty minutes. Michael Joly, John Gilmour, and Nicklas Jensen recorded tallies for the group. All was good tonight in the XL Center. Vince Pedrie and Vinni Lettieri debuted as well. Tomorrow night the Pack travel to Albany to face the Devils at 5 pm.
He first twenty was effective. The Pack grabbed the lead early in the contest. At 3:55, Michael Joly received a pass from Nicklas Jensen to walk right in and jam it home to give Hartford a 1-0 lead. The rest of the frame was scoreless. The Pack generated terrific chances. On defense they played excellent. They blocked shots and gave Hershey a hard time in the defensive zone. The poke check was effective as well. There was energy with the group and overall played well. After twenty, Hartford was up by one in a good period. Shots favored Hartford 12-5.
The second continued good momentum for Hartford. There was good back and forth action between the clubs. Hershey made adjustments but Hartford handled it well. They continued to generate chances. The Bears pressured a bit but the Pack stood tall on defense. They were effective in blocking passing lanes as well. Magnus Hellberg stopped a few great chances by Hershey as well. At 14:04 the Pack extended their lead to 2-0 as John Gilmour recorded an unassisted tally as he shot it on net and it went off a Bears player. The rest of the frame was scoreless. After two periods, all is well. Shots favored Hartford 20-11.
The third was calmer but Hartford continued to do solid work on defense. The Pack had a few power play chances but could not do much. The penalty kill was perfect, keeping it simple and had clear dumps. There was good passes, puck cycling, and breakouts. The score remained unchanged for a bit. Everyone brought something to the table. At 18:54 on the power play Nicklas Jensen sealed the deal with the empty net goal to make it 3-0 Hartford. That was game! Shots favored Hartford 27-20 in this great victory.
This was one of the better games of the season. Everyone brought their contributions to the table, from defense to offense. Magnus Hellberg had a great outing too. The defense worked on cutting down chances and there was good positive energy. There is nothing to complain about tonight. That is great, considering a rough season we’re having in Hartford.
The Pack return to action tomorrow night in Albany to take on the Devils at 5 pm.
Ricky’s 3 Stars
- Michael Joly
- Nicklas Jensen
- Magnus Hellberg
- Vince Pedrie and Vinni Lettieri fit in well for their first game in Hartford. They both had good passes and speed. They brought unique elements for the club. Looking forward to see more down the road.
- The power play converted once in three tries.
- The penalty kill was a perfect three for three.
- Nicklas Jensen recorded one goal and one assist.
- Chris Brown had a solid game on defense. He also notched a fight.
- Michael Joly did not return to the game after he was hit with the puck in his facial area.
- Chris Nell was in the Wolf Pack lineup. He should debut soon. Tonight he was a backup.
- Michael Joly now have points in three straight games.
- Healthy scratches: Dan Catenacci, Brandon Halverson, and Malte Stromwall.
- Injured scratches: Cristoval Nieves.