Photo Credit: Jon Tenca/Puck Stopper Photography

Sunday afternoon the Wolf Pack finished their three games in three days as they started their four game road-trip to end the season in Bridgeport.  Hartford’s comeback fell short as they dropped a 3-2 decision against the Sound Tigers.  The final twenty minutes was not enough after Bridgeport had the upper advantage for the first two periods of the game.  Brandon Halverson was in net, stopping 33 of 36 shots.  Matt Carey and Dan Catenacci recorded tallies for Hartford.  The Pack’s season comes to a close this Saturday as they have three games left.

Game Recap

The first twenty was scoreless.  There was sloppy hockey on both ends of the ice.  Both clubs had limited chances as the scoring chances were rare.  The pace of the frame was rough as there was frequent off-sides and icings.  There was no flow to the game.  Both clubs had one power play opportunity as well.  Shots favored Bridgeport 8-6.

The second began a combination of the Sound Tigers dominance and the Wolf Pack’s struggles which led to Hartford getting behind on the scoreboard.  The first half of the frame was scoreless.  The Pack had a double minor power play with little chances as the Sound Tigers kept clearing their zone.  Hartford was unable to set up solid scoring chances.  Shots were still close.  Then suddenly there was frequent defensive breakdowns.  It was rough.  It started at 12:14 as the Sound Tigers batted in a goal in the air and after review it counted, 1-0 Bridgeport.  Hartford was rattled.  At 12:44 Bridgeport notched a good wrist shot goal to make it 2-0 Sound Tigers.  The Pack were not settled and made mistakes.  The Sound Tigers had the momentum.  Then at 14:15 it was a power play goal for Bridgeport, 3-0.  The Sound Tigers were surging.  They had a few breakaways and odd man chances.  Hartford stepped back and was quiet offensively.  No further damage was done for the rest of the frame and game.  Shots favored Bridgeport alone in the second 17-6.  In total, shots favored the Sound Tigers 25-12.

The third became interesting as the Wolf Pack began to fight back.  At 1:17 Matt Carey had a quick goal to make it a two goal deficit, 3-1 Bridgeport.  Vince Pedrie and Ryan Graves recorded the tallies.  Afterwards the play was calm.  Both clubs pressured throughout the frame.  There was good back and forth action.  At 12:12 Dan Catenacci had a nice shot to make it a one goal game, 3-2 Bridgeport.  Vinny Lettieri and Nicklas Jensen recorded the assists.  Unfortuantely the rest of the frame was scoreless.  The Pack tried to look for the equalizer but could not do so.  Bridgeport buckled up on defense and kept it simple.  They had a few chances as well offensively.  All said and done, the comeback fell short.  Bridgeport pull out a 3-2 victory.  Shots favored the Sound Tigers 36-21.

Final Thoughts

 Hartford played a twenty-minute game on Sunday.  When they did, they made it interesting.  Too little too late.  A defensive breakdown in a span of a few minutes also did not help in the second.  It was a deadly combination which resulted in a loss.

The Pack are back in action on Wednesday as they take on the Albany Devils at 7 pm.

Ricky’s 3 Stars

  1. Matt Carey
  2. Brandon Halverson
  3. Vinny Lettieri

Game Notes

  • The penalty kill was successful two of three times.
  • The power play had five power plays, including a double minor.  They could not convert on any.
  • Vinny Lettieri notched his first pro point.
  • The Pack signed an emergency goalie, Nick Niedert.  He was signed and released the same day.  He backed up Hartford earlier in the season as well.
  • Healthy scratches: None.
  • Injured scratches: Cristoval Nieves, Michael Joly, and Chris Nell (sick).